Tour the Mansion Built as a Wedding Gift
No visit to the St. Louis area is complete without a tour of this Alton, IL icon.
This historic home was built by Railroad Baron and Entrepreneur Z. B. Job as a wedding gift for his son and son's bride, Mary Drummond heiress to the Drummond Tobacco forture. In 1909 it was purchased by Edmond Beall—Alderman, four time Mayor of Alton, Senator, Industrialist and Financier.
Designed by world renowned architect, Lucas Pfeiffenberger—today this three story, 10,000 + square foot mansion serves as as a living museum of turn of the century life and architecture and as one of the finest bed and breakfast inns in the St. Louis Metropolitan area.
The Narrated Tour
Lavishly furnished with period antiques and reproductions, hand sewn Oriental rugs, and marble and bronze statuary—on your narrated historic home tour you will learn about:
- the connection between Z. B. Job, one time Sheriff of Madison County, and Jessie James
- the story of Mrs. Job and her 5 millionaire husbands
- the connection between Edmond Beall and Mary Todd Lincoln
- how Senator Beall was instrumental in saving “The Great Mound” (Cahokia Mounds)
- why the Honorable Mr. Beall is known as, “the man who pulled Alton out of the mud.”
Narrated historic home tours of The Beall Mansion are provided by one of the owners or their assistants.
- Tour Length: 30 to 45 minutes
- Tour Times: Call to reserve
After the narrated portion of the tour you are invited to view photo albums of the restoration of the mansion as well as explore the public spaces, grounds and gardens.
- Adult: $12
- Senior: $9 (60 years or older)
- Child: $6 (ages 2 to 12. Children ages 2 or younger are free.)
TIP: SAVE $2.00 per person with any regularly priced paid admission of 4 or more.
For 12 or more persons please call for Group Tour Discounts and special Group Tours with refreshments.
National Historic Register
The Beall Mansion is a supporting structure in the Middletown Historic District listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Conveniently located on Millionaire's Row—only 25 minutes from the St. Louis Gateway Arch and downtown St. Louis, MO or 90 minutes from Springfield, Illinois.
Tours are by appointment. Call now to reserve: 618-474-9100 or toll 1-866-The-BEALL (1-866-843-2325).